Moody Landscape Project – Construction Advisory
On-site work for the Moody College of Communication Landscape project began on 28 November 2016. For the work on this project to be conducted safely, some temporary closures of sidewalks, traffic lanes, and a bike lane on Dean Keeton will be required. The overall project is expected to be completed late February 2017.
The City of Austin, as a condition of the Moody Pedestrian Bridge project, requested that UT improve the pedestrian experience along the south side of Dean Keeton from Whitis to Guadalupe, and the city included specific requests for landscape improvements. This Landscape project has been implemented to fulfill our commitment to the City, but also includes the installation of new Moody College of Communication signs at the corners of Dean Keeton and Guadalupe, Dean Keeton and Whitis, and 25th Street and Whitis.
TRAFFIC CONTROL MEASURES ALREADY IN PLACE
- The plaza stair at the southwest corner of Dean Keeton and Whitis has been closed with panelized chain link fencing.
- Parking spaces along the west side of Whitis have been fenced off. These spaces will be used to stage construction material and equipment.
- One section of the plaza stair at the northwest corner of Whitis and 25th Street has been closed for demolition.
SUNDAY, 11 DECEMBER 2016 THRU TUESDAY, 28 FEBRUARY 2017
- Close the east bound bike lane and the pedestrian sidewalk on the south side of Dean Keeton from Guadalupe to Whitis. Water-filled barriers will be used to separate the traffic lane from the area of construction work and panelized chain link fencing will be used at other areas. This will establish the area of construction. Signs will be posted strategically in the surrounding area to advise of the bike lane and sidewalk closures. The exit from the alley between CMA and CMB will remain open until the winter holiday break.
- The sidewalk on the south side of Dean Keeton between Guadalupe Street and Whitis Avenue will be demolished and the new sidewalk installed. There will be saw-cutting, jack hammering, heavy equipment noises, and vibration during this activity.
- 200’ of water-filled barriers will be installed along the west side of Guadalupe across from the intersection of Dean Keeton Street and Guadalupe Street.
THURSDAY, 15 DECEMBER 2016 THRU TUESDAY, 3 JANUARY 2016
- The easternmost northbound lane of Guadalupe Street approaching Dean Keeton Street will be closed with the use of cones or barrels. This lane will be closed from 6:30am through 5:00pm, Monday thru Saturday.
- The concrete walk and retaining walls on the southeast corner of Dean Keeton Street and Guadalupe Street will be demolished and the new sidewalk installed. There will be saw-cutting, jack hammering, heavy equipment noises, and vibration during this activity.
FRIDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2016 THRU FRIDAY, 13 JANUARY 2017
- The driveways for the CMA garage will be closed with fence panels and water-filled barriers.
MONDAY, 19 DECEMBER THRU MONDAY, 16 JANUARY 2017
- Demolition of the east wall of the stair at 25th Street and Whitis Avenue will begin. The sidewalk to the CMA Auditorium will remain open.
- During this activity there will be loud saw-cutting, jack hammering, heavy equipment noises, and vibration. Plywood panels will be placed in the east windows of HSM.
WEDNESDAY, 4 JANUARY 2017 THRU MONDAY, 16 JANUARY 2017
- The center median and the northernmost east bound lane of Dean Keeton Street between Guadalupe Street and Whitis Avenue will be closed for landscape demolition and installation. The northernmost east bound lane of Dean Keeton Street will be reopened on Tuesday, 10 January 2017 but the center median will remain closed for the duration of this activity.
WEDNESDAY, 11 JANUARY 2017 THRU FRIDAY, 13 JANUARY 2017
- Various lanes of Guadalupe Street at the intersection with Dean Keeton Street will be closed for restriping of the pedestrian crosswalk. These lane closures will occur from 6:30am through 5:00pm.
Speedway Mall Construction Update for Spring 2017
The next phase of the Speedway Mall Project will begin on 12/16/2016. (the next phase is the east half of Speedway roughly north of Inner Campus Drive to just north of 24th street). Here are a few things you should note regarding the next phase of construction:
- 24th St. will be closed between the F16 lot and University Drive. That means NO through-traffic on 24th between San Jacinto and University Drive. However, the F16 lot and parking spaces to the east will remain open but may be reconfigured. (San Jacinto traffic turning west on 24th will not be able to continue past the F16 lot)
- The electronic swing-arm gates at 24th and University (west of Speedway) will be closed by PTS. (only Emergency vehicles, carts, etc will have access between University Drive and Speedway on 24th)
- The electronic swing-arm gates at Speedway and Dean Keeton will be opened by PTS. 24th at Speedway will be blocked so vehicles entering from Dean Keeton will also need to turn around and exit to Dean Keeton. (Emergency vehicles will have access)
- PTS will be creating some loading spaces on Speedway north of 24th. Parking spaces and deliveries to WEL, GDC, or other buildings south of 24th (normally accessed from San Jacinto/24th) will now need to access Speedway from Dean Keeton. We will work with PTS to make sure signs are in place at 24th and San Jacinto directing them to Speedway/Dean Keeton.
- The new bollards on 21st near Speedway will be tested between January 2, 2017 and January 13, 2017. During that time, we will work with PTS, CapMetro, AFD and others to make sure they understand how the bollards operate.
- On January 13, 2017 the new bollards at 21st will “go live” and traffic will be controlled according to PTS’ developing plan. They will be relaying information to the campus community in the coming weeks.