The following guidelines have been established for students with disabilities who are requesting accommodations for placement exams and assessments at the University of Texas at Austin. SSD works with the Center for Teaching and Learning and UT College Readiness in order to determine and implement reasonable accommodations for placement exams.
Requests for Placement Exam Accommodations should be made no later than 5 (five) business days before the exam.
1. Students must submit a formal request for accommodations (see below) and provide supporting documentation (see our Documentation guidelines).
- Incoming students taking the UT Math Assessment during orientation use the following form: RequestforMathAccommodations.pdf
- Students taking a placement exam through the Center for Teaching and Learning use the following form: RequestforCTLAccommodations.pdf
Request forms and supporting documentation should be sent to:
- The University of Texas at Austin
Services for Students with Disabilities
Attn: Placement Exams
100 W. Dean Keeton St. A4100
Austin, TX 78712-0175
- Phone: 512-471-6259
- Fax: 512-475-7730
Documentation must be completed and signed by licensed clinical professional or health care provider. The provider providing documentation cannot be a relative of the student. The requested documentation will be maintained per FERPA guidelines. SSD will maintain the requested documentation and respect the student’s confidentiality at all times. If a student is already registered with SSD and using accommodations in other UT classes no additional documentation is required.
Requests will not be reviewed until the student and appropriate professional have both submitted all requested information to the SSD office.
2. SSD staff will review the request and supporting documentation and notify the Center for Teaching and Learning/UT College Readiness of the accommodations that have been approved. Students will also be notified of the accommodations which have been approved for them.
3. After students have received confirmation that their accommodation request has been approved students taking an exam through CTL should contact CTL Student Testing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 232-2662 to register and make arrangements to take the test. Students taking a UT Math Assessment during orientation do not need to make any special arrangements.
Please note that approval for accommodations on placement exams does not mean a student is approved for accommodations in classes and exams at UT. Students will still need to schedule an intake appointment with SSD in order to receive accommodations for their classes and exams at UT. See How to Register for more details on registering for classroom and exam accommodations.