Individual accommodation letters are provided to students to deliver to their faculty members that outline the accommodations approved for that student by SSD. The following list contains suggested instructional tips in addition to possible approved accommodations.
- Advisors and students should schedule classes to allow extra time for getting from class to class. Also, it may be necessary to schedule classes physically close together on campus.
- Students may need notetakers, use of laptop, and/or tape recorders in class. SSD provides carbonless paper for a volunteer notetaker to use in the class. The student may ask for the instructor’s assistance in locating a volunteer.
- Students may need extra time and/or special arrangements (e.g., typewriter, computer, scribe, audio-taping answers, or oral exams).
- Extra time may be needed for assignments outside of class due to slow writing speed or medical concerns which may involve large chunks of time in doctor’s offices or hospitals.
- Adjustable tables, lab benches, drafting tables, etc. may need to be made accessible for students in wheelchairs.
- Accessible locations for class and field trips: When instructors intend to hold a class in a new location or go on a field trip, they should check to be sure the new site is accessible. If The University is providing transportation for the field trip, the transportation must be accessible.
- Students may require help manipulating tools, laboratory equipment, and/or chemicals. An assistant or lab partner, who merely functions as the student’s hands or legs, also may be needed.
- Disability Parking and awareness: Many of the students who require disabled parking are in this category of disability. All personnel should show consideration for individuals who require reserved parking in order to attend school. Faculty and staff can help to educate non-disabled students who may not realize that most people who need disabled parking are not wheelchair users.
- Treat the student as you would all other students whenever possible. In some cases, you will not need to do anything special at all.