- Meet with each instructor at the beginning of the semester to deliver Accommodation Letters. Discuss the accommodations for which you qualified and coordinate how each accommodation will be provided to you.
- Remind your instructor 5 days before your exam that you plan to use testing accommodations.
- Confirm that you and your instructor are in agreement about the arrangements that have been made. If there is any concern by either party about the arrangements or accommodations, contact SSD for guidance.
- If a testing accommodation is not in place as was previously agreed upon by you and the instructor, notify the proctor immediately.
- If the accommodation cannot be arranged on the spot, do not take the test until you contact SSD.
- If the instructor refuses to provide an approved accommodation, contact SSD immediately.
- It is typically the instructor’s responsibility to make arrangements for extended test-taking time and a reduced distraction test location. However, SSD may provide support if arrangements of certain accommodations cannot be made within the academic department.
- Examples of a reduced distraction environment include: an empty classroom (with several other students also testing and a proctor), another empty room/quiet space. Inappropriate locations include: a hallway, stairwell or office with ringing phones.
Testing at SSD
- Testing Hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
- Services for Students with Disabilities has limited space available for students who require specialized adaptive equipment or service for testing. Students without these needs should make every effort to arrange testing accommodations with the instructor. In most cases instructors are able to provide testing accommodations, including reduced distraction environment and extended testing time.
- Students can log in to the SSD Web Portal to submit a request to take an exam at SSD: http://ssdportal.ddce.utexas.edu/.
*Requests must be submitted at least 2 weeks before the exam.
*All exams for the fall semesters, including finals, must be reserved by November 1st.
*All exams for spring semesters, including finals, must be reserved by April 1st.
- Students will receive an email to print and take to their professor. The professor will fill out the bottom of the form and sign. If your professor allows the use of notes, texts, calculators or other materials on the exam, make sure they include this on the form. SSD will not allow those materials without explicit, written permission. Return the completed form to SSD 1 week before the date of the exam to finalize your reservation.
- Students who do not submit the completed forms to SSD within the specified time frame will not be allowed to test at SSD.
- Once the exam has been confirmed, it will be the student’s responsibility to keep the testing appointment. If for some reason you are unable to test at the scheduled time, permission from the instructor must be obtained to reschedule the exam.
- If a student misses three consecutive exams without contacting SSD, the student will be required to meet with the Testing Coordinator in order to review testing policies and procedures before further exams will be scheduled with SSD.
- Students who test at SSD are expected to uphold UT’s Student Honor Code:
As a student of The University of Texas at Austin, I shall abide by the core values of the University and uphold academic integrity.