The application process has past. Please check back next Spring!
Preview Application | Online Application (closed)
Thank you for your interest in the MEC’s Student Leadership Program (SLP). The SLP was designed to empower emerging student leaders who have a passion for social justice education, community development, and cultural competency. Students selected for this program will work within one of six MEC agencies along other dedicated student leaders to produce University-sponsored programs and initiatives that have a positive impact on campus. Appointments will be decided in the Spring semester with tenure beginning in August 2017 to May 2018.
The Student Leadership Program is a year‐long leadership and professional development program aimed at all full‐time students at UT-Austin. Through our Agencies, students are tasked with developing programs and events with the aims of promoting community development, social justice education, as well as professional and personal leadership. Agency officers work within a diverse team of peers to engage with their respective communities, collect and assess community needs, and create programs, initiatives and campaigns throughout the academic year. Each year, our Agencies produce over 35 programs for the UT-Austin community. Some programs/initiatives include:
★ 6 Annual Welcome Programs for Incoming Freshmen
★ 4 Leadership Institutes
★ MLK, Gloria Anzaldua, & Cesar Chavez Luncheons
★ 3 Annual Conferences/Symposiums
★ Latino & Black Graduation
All of our agencies are university-funded and student-led. Founded in 1988, the MEC and its agencies are backed by a team of full-time staff advisors who are steeped in social justice education, community building, and leadership development.
We are recruiting and accepting applications from current students with a passion for community building, cultural enrichment, social justice, and leadership development, all within a fun, fast-paced environment. Although our programming centers undergraduate students, we also welcome applications from current UT graduate students.
The MEC agencies are:
Afrikan American Affairs (AAA)
Asian Desi Pacific Islander American Collective (APAC)
Latino Community Affairs (LCA)
Native American and Indigenous Collective (NAIC)
Queer People of Color and Allies (QPOCA)
Students for Equity and Diversity (SED)
- Mon, February 13: Application opens online
- Tues, February 28: MEC informational
- Wed, March 1: MEC informational
- Tues, March 7: MEC informational
- Wed, March 8: MEC informational
- Sun, March 19: Applications due by midnight
- Mon, March 20: Applicant Selection/Interviews begins
- Fri, April 7: Applicant Selection/Interviews ends
- Thurs, April 20: Must be registered for classes
- Thurs, April 27: Officer Appointments announced at MSLA
- Thurs, May 4: Transition Meeting for New/Returning Officers
Application and Officer Requirements:
- Applicant must be a current student at time of application
- If selected, applicant must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours each semester of the program
- Applicants must have at least a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Selected officers must be able to dedicate 3-6 hours per week towards their agencies (i.e. internal meetings, community meetings, program planning and implementation, and MEC-wide workshops, meetings and outreach).
- All positions, especially paid positions) will have a one year term limit.
(Exceptions may be requested on a case-by-case basis.)
Download/Preview Application (pdf) SLP application
The application must be COMPLETED online but you can preview/download a PDF version in order to prepare your answers in advance. It is anticipated that the application will take approximately 45 minutes to complete.