Looking for a summer job? Interested in alleviating hunger and youth education?
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement is partnering with the City of Austin and the Corporation for National and Community Service to find more than 40 students who’ll be in the Austin metropolitan area between June 3 and August 9, 2013.
The 2013 UT/Community Summer Associates Program is looking for students who want to work in the following areas:
- United Way for Greater Austin – The United Way for Greater Austin (UWATX) is a local nonprofit and community service organization providing resources and volunteer opportunities with local Austin charities. They’re looking for 30 Summer Associates to support strategic work in two education initiatives: Target Graduation (a program designed to positively impact student performance as well as the culture of learning in schools) and Success by 6 (a cooperative program designed to make sure every child is ready for kindergarten by improving the complex networks of child care services, parent education, public and private funding and public policy).
- Capital Area Food Bank – The Capital Area Food Bank of Texas (CAFB) provides food and grocery products to more than 300 Partner Agencies in 21 Central Texas counties fulfilling its mission to nourish hungry people and lead the community in ending hunger.
- Con Mi Madre (CMM) – a non-profit organization working with the UT School of Social Work to increase the representation of Hispanic girls in post-secondary institutions through a focus on education and social support services to girls and their mothers.
- Austin Pre-freshman Engineering Program (AusPrEP) – AusPrEP, based at Huston-Tillotson University, is one of the Texas Pre-freshman Engineering Programs (TexPrEP) located on college campuses in Texas. PrEP was founded to recruit girls and minority students traditionally underrepresented in science and engineering and to identify high achieving middle and high school students with the potential and interest in becoming scientists and engineers.
- UT Pre-College Academic Readiness Program (PCARP) – The UT PCARP is a program within the DDCE designed to provide academic preparation through a variety of college-level curricula designed to improve college readiness among Texas high school students underrepresented in postsecondary institutions.
The deadline to apply is May 5th. Interested students should complete a profile on the AmeriCorps website (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do) and apply for one of the positions mentioned through the UT/Community AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates Program by following this link: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=48899&fromSearch=true