The Intellectual Entrepreneurship (IE) Pre-Graduate Internship Program, housed within the DDCE and the Moody College of Communication, has awarded ten students with Intellectual Entrepreneurship Awards for the Spring 2015 semester. The students, known as IE Kuhn Scholars, each receive a $1,000 stipend made possible by Michael and Alice Kuhn.
The award is intended to support and encourage first-generation and/or economically-disadvantaged college students to pursue opportunities that further enrich the pre-graduate school internship experience (e.g., traveling to conferences, potential graduate school visits, research endeavors, supplies, books etc.). DDCE provides a matching stipend to the interns’ graduate student mentors. Since 2013, there have been 76 IE Kuhn Scholars selected from an applicant pool of over 300 eligible students. IE Kuhn Scholars represent 13 UT Austin colleges and schools.
The 2015 IE Kuhn Scholars and their respective graduate student mentors or faculty supervisors are:
- Abraham Munoz/Jacek Gwizdka, School of Information
- Barron Preston/ John Lisle, History
- Carina Guevara/ Elizabeth McClellan, Studio Art
- Jessika Aleman/ Devin Walker, Curriculum & Instruction
- Juana Guzman/ Giulio Yaquinto, Law
- Linda Garrison/ Marjorie May Dixon, Integrative Biology
- Loyce Gayo James/ Robbie Paras, Global Policy Studies
- Melissa Forero-Rau/ Helen Hollis, Social Work
- Melissa Garcia/ Gabriel E. Pantoja, Communication Studies
- Brianna Barry/ Colin Averill, Integrative Biology
“We are enormously proud of our newly selected IE Kuhn Scholars,” said Dr. Rick Cherwitz, founder and director of the IE Consortium. “Like prior winners, we applaud these remarkable students not only for the accomplishments that led to receipt of this distinguished honor, but also for the ways they will continue to leverage their knowledge for social good. Furthermore, we are grateful to the Kuhn’s, without whom these awards would not exist.”
The IE Pre Grad Internship Program is part of the university’s IE Consortium, which was established in 1997. Nearly 2,500 students have participated in the IE Pre Grad Internship Program since it began in 2003. Read more about the Pre Grad Internship and the IE Kuhn Scholar Awards.