Founded in 2015, MathBridge is a collaboration between The University of Texas at Austin’s Department of Mathematics, the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, and public high schools across Texas.
The goal is to improve mathematical and critical thinking among high school students working to enter college. MathBridge partners a mathematics professor at UT with high school students and teachers from underrepresented high schools across Texas. MathBridge connects high school students to an academic community of collegiate scientists and researchers.
- A full-year dual credit opportunity providing both academic preparation and college literacy using a curriculum developed by experts in their field designed to mirror what happens on campus in pacing, depth, rigor and expectations.
- Students receive three credit hours for M302: Introduction to Mathematics upon successful completion of the two-semester course. (M302 transfers under the common course numbering system as MATH 1332.)
- Teachers participate in extensive professional development to implement the college-level curriculum as the central focus of their classes. They receive ongoing support from MathBridge staff.
- Students in MathBridge will play with puzzles, figure out how to draw in perspective, learn about infinity and the fourth dimension, and understand why coincidences happen. By grappling with these and other mathematical situations, students learn effective thinking, how to create insights and how to solve challenges. Topics include interesting ideas from number theory, geometry, graph theory, rubber sheet geometry, probability and statistics. They participate in classroom lessons and activities to reinforce these concepts.
- MathBridge classes come to UT Austin for a guided visit. While on campus, students observe a mathematics course, interact with their MathBridge professor, take tours, engage with undergraduates and partake in events intended to acculturate them into a college community.
For additional information, contact:
Dr. Jacob Ptacek, Executive Director
Pre-College Academic Readiness Programs
505 East Huntland Drive, Suite 270, Austin, TX 78752