IE Program Announces Spring 2016 Kuhn Scholars
The Intellectual Entrepreneurship (IE) Pre-Graduate Internship Program, housed within the DDCE and the Moody College of Communication, has awarded 10 students with IE Kuhn Awards for the spring 2016 semester. The students each receive a $1,000 stipend made possible by Michael and Alice Kuhn.
The award supports first-generation and/or economically-disadvantaged college students in their academic pursuits and further enriches their pre-graduate school internship experience (e.g., traveling to conferences, potential graduate school visits, research endeavors, supplies, books etc.). The DDCE provides a matching stipend to the interns’ graduate student mentors.
Since 2013, there have been 109 IE Kuhn Scholars selected from an applicant pool of over 350 eligible students—totaling nearly one quarter of a million dollars in awards and matching stipends.
“We are enormously grateful to the Kuhn’s for enriching the lives of these students and contributing to their academic success,” said Rick Cherwitz, IE founder and director.
The spring 2016 IE Kuhn Scholars and their respective graduate student mentors or faculty supervisors are:
• Alexandria Jones and Devin Walker, College of Education
• Audrey Jahanian and Laura Brown, College of Fine Arts
• Erick Campos and Jose Del Real Viramontes, College of Education
• Gabriela Melendez and Sarah Murphy, College of Natural Sciences
• Maria Mendez and Nazia Ali, School of Law
• Marisa Ortega and Adam MacDonald, School of Social Work
• Megan Nations and Sangeeta Kamdar, Moody College of Communications
• Paula Koziol and Mahdi Haddad, Cockrell School of Engineering
• Samantha Rice and Addison Kemp, College of Liberal Arts
• Sean Mapa and Alejandro Ponce de Leon, College of Liberal Arts
The IE Pre-Grad Internship Program is part of the university’s IE Consortium, which was established in 1997. More than 2,500 students have participated in the IE Pre-Grad Internship Program since it began in 2003. Read more about the Pre Grad Internship and the IE Kuhn Scholar Awards.