Athletes and Youth Mentorship Event
Fundraiser & Education Dialogue
Professional Athletes and Youth Mentorship in Urban Public Schools
Convened by the University of Texas Charter School System
WHEN: Thursday, February 2, 2017 • 5:30-7:00pm
WHERE: Dominion Church International, 4411 Dallas Street, Houston, TX 77023
WHAT: A panel of professional athletes, coaches and community stakeholders will unpack the important role that professional athletes should and do play in the lives of urban public school youth. Best practices and tips will be shared in a collaborative atmosphere.
Panel will be followed by a live auction on items including an autographed football from Vince Young and oversized student artwork. A VIP reception will take place after the event.
WHO: Audience will be comprised of community members from the Houston area.
WHY: To leverage the upcoming Super Bowl LI to address an important topic within the Houston community.
IMPACT: Event proceeds will fund art, music and play therapy for UT-University Charter School students who are in foster care at DePelchin-Richmond and adjudicated youth programs at Unlimited Visions Aftercare.
Panel Moderator: Dr. Lisa K. Thompson, Professor, College of Education at Prairie View A&M University
- Jermell Charlo, WBC Super Welterweight World Champion
- Dr. Courtney L. Flowers, Assistant Professor of Sports Management, Texas Southern University
- Dr. Akilah Francique, Track athlete (former), Assistant Professor of Health and Kinesiology, Prairie View A&M University
- Derrick James, Professional boxing trainer, fitness and life coach
- Kendrick Kitchens, JSU Wide Receiver (former), Football Coach at Houston Baptist University
- Russell Shepard, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Wide Receiver
- Markeith Spears, LSU Linebacker (former), top- producing real estate agent in Houston
Register at Eventbrite.
For more information, contact: Michael McKenzie, UT Charter School Executive Principal – Houston Area.
Interested in sponsorship opportunities? Contact: Jazmine León-Wing, Director of Development, by email or phone: (512) 471-7033