Panel Discussion on Free Speech on College Campuses Oct. 20
Free Speech on College Campuses: Where to Draw the Line?
Friday, October 20, 2017
Peter O’Donnell Jr. Building
201 E. 24th Street, Austin, TX
Lunch will be provided after the event.
The event is free, but seating is limited. An RSVP is required.
College campuses do not want to become venues for hate speech. However, they also do not want to suppress the expression of free ideas. Recent incidents on college campuses involving controversial speakers have sparked a surge in disruptive and sometimes violent protests by activists. How should college campuses respond to hate speech? What are the constitutional limits on restricting speech on college campuses? Join us as we explore these and other questions.
- Brianna Davis | Doctoral Student, Educational Leadership and Policy University of Texas at Austin
- Robert Jensen | Professor of Journalism University of Texas at Austin
- Peniel Joseph | Professor of History and Public Affairs University of Texas at Austin
- H.W. Perry Jr. | Professor of Government and Law University of Texas at Austin
- Shetal Vohra-Gupta | Associate Director Institute for Urban Policy Research and Analysis University of Texas at Austin
- Sharon Watkins Jones | Director of Political Strategies Texas ACLU
Moderator: Leonard Moore | Interim Vice-President Division of Diversity and Community Engagement University of Texas at Austin
Event Co-Sponsor: The Opportunity Forum