The Darren Walker Scholars program will provide a fully funded undergraduate education at The University of Texas at Austin for students of the highest caliber with substantial financial need and a history of overcoming economic, social or educational obstacles. The program will provide students with an intimate cohort of fellow Darren Walker Scholars as well as connections with faculty, alumni and civic leaders. The goal is to permit these extraordinary young women and men to unlock their potential and develop their talents for the betterment of all, following the example of Darren Walker.
This would be funded by:
- Annual tuition scholarship provided by UT through the Texas Advance Commitment.
- Annual $20,000 scholarship award provided by Darren Walker Scholarship endowments.
UT’s Division of Diversity and Community Engagement (DDCE) will lead the Darren Walker Scholars. This support will include tutoring, peer mentoring and coaching, service learning, internships and career networking. These efforts will ensure that Darren Walker Scholars will be best prepared to maximize their abilities and meet the challenges of advancing the betterment of their communities.
- October 1, 2021 – Nominations Open
- December 1, 2021 – Nominations Close
- December 21, 2021 – Semifinalists announced
- January 1, 2022 – February 15, 2022 – Semifinalist interviews & materials due
- March 1, 2022 – Darren Walker Scholars announced