Our mission is to create a community on campus for first-generation students by providing them with a multi-tiered support network and an immersive layering of academic, social and professional experiences, workshops, resources, and events.
First-Generation students at The University of Texas at Austin are able to opt-in to any of the whole-person developmental services provided by First-Gen Equity, free of charge, that are listed below.
- First-Gen Transition Coaches are available to provide year-long mentorship support for our incoming first-year students.*
- First-Gen Success Coaches are available by appointment to provide as-needed support for sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- STEM Tutors are available via drop-in hours or by appointment to provide academic support to all our students, year-round.
*Students who do not have a mentor through any other UT college/program will receive priority-selection
- Attend our annual First-Gen Equity Welcome Event at the beginning of each fall semester
- Visit and socialize in our physical office space located in the Student Services Building (SSB 3.200)
- Join our First-Gen Equity Canvas page and social media channels
- Participate in any of our monthly social events/experiences:
- First-Gen Tailgate
- Hidden Treasures on Campus
- Austin-Area Explorations
- And More!
Resources & Connections
- Check out items from our technology and textbook lending libraries
- Use our center’s computers and study spaces and reserve conference room spaces
- Receive referrals to other campus resources and organizations based upon your interests/needs
- Attend our numerous academic, personal and professional workshops/events:
- College 101
- Study Skills
- Navigating the Austin-Area Bus System
- Getting Involved on Campus
- Moving Off Campus
- Self-Care & Mental Health
- Resumes, CVs & Cover Letters
- Interviewing Skills
- Networking Events
- And More!
- Connect to other LCAE Programs:
- Fearless Leadership Institute
- Monarch Student Program
- McNair Scholars
- Heman Sweatt Center for Black Males
- Fall Signature Course & Spring Speaker Series
- C2C University Co-op Internship
- DDCE Global
- Explore Law
- Attend our annual First-Gen Equity Symposium event, which highlights the recent successes of our first-generation students
- Participate in our First-Gen Equity Graduation Ceremony during the week of graduation commencement ceremonies
- Join our First-Gen Equity Alumni Network