Travelers must demonstrate how business trips will benefit DDCE. Before submitting travel request, travelers must check the budget to ensure availability of funds. Complete the DDCE Request for Travel (RTA) form and submit to your travel administrator as soon as possible after your trip is approved by your supervisor and no less than 7 working days prior to the date of travel. Please allow at least 3-4 weeks to process requests that include conference registration or flight arrangements.
Download the DDCE Traveler’s Guide to ensure that arrangements can be made as timely and cost effective as possible.
1. PRIOR TO TRAVEL
You must complete certain authorization procedures in order to get reimbursed for university-related business travel. Depending on the situation, you’ll need to complete one of the following during the early stages of the travel-planning process. Please use the DDCE Travel Manager’s Worksheet to help keep track of details.
Request for Travel Authorization (RTA)
- Completing a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) for all employees, prospective employees and students is the first thing you should do when you start planning a trip for employees, prospective employees, or students using a centrally billed airfare or requesting reimbursement for travel on university business.
- A Request for Travel Authorizations are process on a DEFINE VE5 voucher which is required in order for faculty, staff and students to be reimbursed for travel expenses.
- RTAs/VE5s should be processed before travel begins to provide liability and worker’s compensation insurance coverage for all travelers.
- Complete the following:
- Automated RTA — You can complete the electronic VE5 document using DEFINE. RTA numbers are automatically assigned once the document receives initial approval. Travel Management Services recommends using the automated RTA whenever possible.
- Non-Employee Travel Authorization – https://utexas.app.box.com/v/non-employee-travel-auth
- A new Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) data report is available to help with the increased need for travel related data during the COVID -19 pandemic: RTA Report Submission
- Contact Purchasing – Travel Services experts on rules relating to all types of travel authorizations. email@example.com
- Travel Restrictions – Visit Travel Management’s website for more information at https://travel.utexas.edu/coronavirus.
- Student Travel -Please review the information below concerning student travel:
- Student travelers must coordinate with their DDCE Administrative staff member to complete the Request for Travel Authorization process.
- This process may vary slightly depending upon if it is an individual or group travel, but all travelers participating in a DDCE or university group travel program must complete the following forms. One copy should be submitted to the DDCE lead administrator and one copy should travel with the organization on the trip in case of an emergency.
- Travel-Related Laws and Policies
- Preparing for Domestic Travel
- Group Travel – Please work the university’s contracted travel agencies to get help booking group flights and group hotel blocks.
- Cash Advance – Visit the Accounting and Financial Management site for more information at https://afm.utexas.edu/hbp/part-11/4-cash-advance-for-travel.
- Field Trips – Please refer to the Student Travel section of this guide and follow procedures accordingly.
- Camp Insurance – Visit the Handbook of Business Procedures for more information about Camp Insurance
- Car Rental – All car rental reservations are required to be made using one of five UT Austin contract car vendors, citing the chosen vendor’s specific rate identifier code. Rental car contract rates apply to Domestic/U.S. rentals only.
- Charter Bus Rental – Anthony Travel Motor Coach Connection, UT Austin’s new partner in charter bus ground transportation, can assist UT Austin colleges and departments with arranging and managing charter bus services, billing and safety requirements. The DDCE Charter Bus Reservation Form aids in gathering information for your charter bus reservation. See FAQs for more information.
- Airport Parking – Airport Fast Park (AFP) provides a discounted parking rate for the university’s business travelers and students departing from Austin Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA). Click here to see the daily rate and apply for a Frequent Parking Card. Also,the Parking Spot is pleased to offer UT Austin employees discount parking rates at Austin/Bergstrom and additional airports across Texas. The discount applies to both business and personal travel. Click here to learn more and apply for the Club Exec Card
- Mileage – Please use the DDCE Mileage Log to document mileage for business trips while using your personal vehicle. Reminder: RTA is required for all travel reimbursements including local travel by car. With the exception of tolls and parking expenses, reimbursement of mileage is inclusive of all expenses associated with the operation of a personally owned or leased vehicle. Employees can be reimbursed for travel at the rate listed on the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts’ Travel Reimbursement Rates Web page.
- Travel Limits – state and local travel limits can be found at AskUs.
- Foreign Travel
- Student Travel Policy for International Locations (STPIL)
- According to Appendix N of the University’s General Catalog, all students traveling internationally on University-related business are required to register their travel with Texas Global Risk and Safety.
- This is to ensure that essential emergency details are collected and that all students are enrolled in UT’s Overseas Insurance policy.
- This registration process is separate from and in addition to the Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) process required for reimbursement.
- However, failure to properly register travel can result in disciplinary action and the inability to receive reimbursement for travel expenses.
- Student Travel Policy for International Locations (STPIL)
3. AFTER THE TRIP
- Travel Reimbursements:
- A completed reimbursement request should be submitted with all original receipts as soon as practical after travel, but no later than 60 days after travel.
- All reimbursements requested after 60 days will need to include a justification late submittal form.
- Reimbursements processed late may be considered taxable income, unlike reimbursements processed soon after the travel dates.
- Reimbursement Travel Limits for local and state accounts can be found on AskUs.
RESOURCES – DOMESTIC TRAVEL
- DDCE Travel Exception Request Form
- Creating Travel Authorization Requests – Video – +
- Creating Travel Reimbursement Requests – Video – +
- Electronic Travel Documents (VE5, VE6, VP5) – Handout
- Regenerating Transactions – Video – +
- Request for Travel Authorizations (RTA documents) – Handout
- Travel Authorization Corrections (VE6) – Slideshow
- Travel Authorization Corrections (VE6) – (27 minutes) – Webcast – 1
- Travel Authorizations (VE5) – Slideshow
- Travel Authorizations (VE5) – (51 minutes) – Webcast – 1
- Travel Discussion Panel – Slideshow – **
- Travel Rules and Regulations – Slideshow
- Travel Rules and Regulations – Authorizations (21 minutes) – Webcast – 1
- Travel Rules and Regulations – Reimbursements (44 minutes) – Webcast – 1
- Travel Vouchers (VP5) – Slideshow
- Travel Vouchers (VP5) – (47 minutes) – Webcast – 1