As we complete the first month of the academic school year, LCCE begins launching several annual service projects; among them being Be The Change. Be the Change Austin is a national day of service scheduled near October 5 – Gandhi’s birthday. To encourage volunteerism and community service, South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) coordinates the celebration of Gandhi’s legacy.
On Saturday, September 27th, Be the Change will kick-off in the morning at the Asian American Resource Center, where keynote speaker, Shubhada Saxena, President and Founder of SAIVA – South Asians’ International Volunteer Association, will address event volunteers. Volunteers, from all over the Austin community, of all ages, will then head to their assigned worksites. This year, among the neighborhood partnerships will be the Miracle Foundation, Sunset Valley Elementary, Old Pecan Street Festival, Colony Park, Holly, East Cesar Chavez, Dove Springs and Rundburg. (More participating neighborhoods can be found here!)
Leading up to Be the Change service day, a week full of events will be hosted throughout campus. Events include:
- Saturday, Sept. 20: Student Summit for Social Change – St. Edwards University 9am – 4pm
- Monday, Sept. 22: Be the Change Kick Off and Service Event – Gregory Plaza 10am – 2pm
- Wednesday, Sept. 24: Volunteer Fair – Speedway Plaza 9:45am – 2:45pm
- Thursday, Sept. 25: Be the Change Service Panel – Texas Union 6pm-7:30pm
- Saturday, Sept. 27: Be the Change Service Day – City wide, all day
As the rush of exam season approaches, one of the greatest stress relievers is helping others. LCCE invites all Austin volunteers to Be the Change this Sunday and every day!