Spring 2020 Community Classroom Course
OPEN FOR REGISTRATION
Creating, Preserving and Telling Our Stories
Austin-area residents are invited to participate in The Community Classroom: A Space for Learning and Advocacy, which offers low-cost six-week classes designed to equip participants with the advocacy skills they need to make a positive difference in their neighborhoods. Developed by UT Austin’s Center for Community Engagement, the classes are taught each semester collaboratively by UT faculty, staff and community partners. One of the community courses offered this spring is Creating, Preserving and Telling Our Stories.
This class will focus on cultural preservation and historical documentation within the context of Austin’s rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods. The course will offer tools and practices for disrupting cultural erasure, with a particular focus on historically marginalized communities. Participants will be exposed to research and projects around historically Black communities in Austin as a case-study on how to contextualize different community’s histories and archival materials and present them through an artistic lens.
- Stephanie Lang, cultural preservationist, UT’s Center for Community Engagement
- Rachel E. Winston, archivist, Black Diaspora archivist, UT Austin
DATES AND TIMES
Tuesdays 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Start Date: Tuesday, January 28
End Date: Tuesday, March 3
Various community locations
(Registered students will receive a syllabus with location details).
- Access to UT libraries and resources
- Information gathering and analysis skills
- A small, interactive classroom environment
- In-depth knowledge about Austin’s racial history
- An introduction into historical documentation and cultural preservation
- Skills for creating and implementing cultural preservation projects
- Evening classes and curriculum designed for busy working adults
Registration is $45 (fee waivers are available for those who need it). Sign up here: http://bit.ly/2mn5RVb-TOS! Deadline for registration is January 23. For more information, contact Stephanie Lang: firstname.lastname@example.org.