Making UT Austin Inclusive, Accessible and Welcoming
July 2023 D&A Newsletter
· D&A/DCC Student Advisory Committee
· New Process for Accommodation Letters
· Welcome to D&A’s Newest Staff
· Education Abroad Blog Post: Call for Students
· Disability Cultural Center Summer Events
D&A/DCC Student Advisory Committee
Applications for the 2023-2024 Disability and Access-Disability Cultural Center (D&A-DCC) Student Advisory Committee are open until July 31st.
The D&A-DCC Student Advisory Committee provides a way for students to provide direct input to D&A and the DCC in order to: 1) help D&A and the DCC better meet the needs of UT students with disabilities 2) foster leadership skills in UT students with interests in disability topics and 3) encourage student advocacy for disability inclusion and disability-related issues on campus. Click the button below to apply! SAC Application
New Process for Requesting Accommodation Letters
You should have received email in late June outlining the new process for requesting Accommodation Letters on the D&A portal. The subject read: “Important Info: New Process for Requesting Accommodation Letters.” Please read the email closely and follow the directions provided when it is time to request your accommodation letters. To view the contents of that email on the D&A website instead, click here.
Students who are registered with D&A taking Summer Second Session courses can begin requesting their ALs on the first class day, July 10.
D&A is excited to welcome Jillian Haag as the newest Access Coordinator in Disability and Access! Learn more about Jillian on the D&A website.
Education Abroad Blog Post: Call for Students
Education Abroad is looking for students with disabilities who have studied abroad to share about their experiences! A feature post to go on our blog (https://abroad-blog.global.utexas.edu/ ) during the month of July will highlight topics, questions, and resources that students with disabilities may consider before embarking on a study abroad experience. For this feature, possible topics can include expectations, planning done ahead of time, finding community among your cohort/fellow students, cultural reconnection, insights gained, etc. Please maintain an overall encouraging tone and consider linking to on-campus and off-campus resources that students may utilize.
Interested students may contact our office at email@example.com with the subject line “Student Experience for Studying Abroad with Disabilities blog.”
Disability Cultural Center Summer Events
Below is the schedule of DCC hosted and sponsored events for Summer 2023. Check out the DCC websitefor upcoming events and opportunities.
Disability Culture Conversations
These monthly virtual meetups are designed to provide a space for students, faculty and staff to come together to learn about topics related to disabled identity and the disability community. See dates and topics below:
The DCC is partnering with Austin Adapted Sports to host and participate in adapted sports opportunities in Austin over the summer. Austin Adapted Sports holds tennis and kayaking weekly; the DCC will coordinating specific UT Nights on the dates designated below:
· Wheelchair/Adapted Tennis at UT Whitaker Fields: Mondays from 6:45-8:45. All disability and experience levels welcome; equipment is provided. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday at noon if you plan to attend.
· Kayaking with Austin Adapted Sports at the Texas Rowing Center: Fridays from 6-8pm. Join the DCC for a UT Night on July 14th: RSVP to email@example.com by Thursday at 5pm before the event if you plan to attend.
Information Session about a Disability University Resource Group
July 27th 9-11am (specific time TBD), hybrid
· Save the Date: July 27th 9-11am (specific time TBD) for an hybrid Information Session about a Disability University Resource Group for UT disabled staff and faculty. Join the listserv for details and updates!