SSD works in partnership with faculty and staff to ensure students with disabilities have equal access to the University of Texas at Austin. The goal of this section is to help faculty and staff better understand how to provide access to students with disabilities and to provide information on the services offered by SSD. Faculty and staff can have a profound influence on a student’s experience at UT and we want to help you create a supportive and inclusive learning environment for students at UT. If you have questions or concerns about working with or accommodating a student with a disability, please contact us at 512-471-6259 or 512-410-6644 (VP).
Here are what some students had to share about their experiences working with faculty and staff in regard to their accommodations:
“…when I finally did sit down to talk with [my professor] she made me feel extremely comfortable and was more understanding of my situation than I could have ever imagined… I will always remember [my professor’s] impact on my college experience, and I hope to one day leave a similar impact on the life of a struggling student.”
“He was always very approachable and I think that is very important. One of my fears of giving my professors my disabilities letters is that they will judge me, but I never felt like that was the case with [my professor].”
SSD and the Center for Teaching and Learning created a 6 minute video introduction to SSD that is designed specifically for instructors at UT. Please take a few moments to learn about how we work with students and instructors to create an accessible environment for students with disabilities at UT.
Listed below are some additional resources that provide additional information about accommodating students in your classes.
- SSD Instructor Portal
- SSD_Instructor Tips_2020 (pdf)
- The Law
- Responsibilities of Students and Faculty
- The Basics: Providing Accommodations
- Link to Instructor Portal
- Accessibility Best Practices for Zoom Classes
- Accessibility Best Practices for Zoom Events
- Accessibility Best Practices for Canvas
- Instructional Tips for Working with Students with Disabilities
- Creating an Accessible Classroom
- Accommodated Testing at SSD
- Note Taking Guidelines
- Making a Referral to SSD
- Online Trainings
- Faculty and Staff Frequently Asked Questions
- SSD Access and Accommodations for Study Abroad
- SSD Youtube Channel
External Links and Resources
- The National College Center for Students with Disabilities Clearinghouse and Resource Library for Faculty and Instructors
- The Faculty Room from DO-IT is a space for faculty and administrators at postsecondary institutions to learn about how to create classroom environments and academic activities that maximize the learning of all students, including those with disabilities. educators .
- APA disABILITY Resource Toolkit
- Access to Postsecondary Education