New Resource for SSD Students: Campus Testing Center
SSD is excited to be partnering with Testing and Evaluation Services to pilot a new Campus Testing Center starting in Fall 2021. Students registered with SSD and instructors will receive more details before the start of the Fall semester via email, the SSD website and the SSD Portal about using this new space for accommodated testing.
A text-based version is available for download here: Text based-SSD test request process and notification system outline
- Meet with each instructor at the beginning of the semester to deliver Accommodation Letters. Discuss the accommodations for which you qualified and coordinate how each accommodation will be provided to you.
- Remind your instructor 5 days before your exam that you plan to use testing accommodations.
- Confirm that you and your instructor are in agreement about the arrangements that have been made. If there is any concern by either party about the arrangements or accommodations, contact SSD for guidance.
Testing with your Instructor
- There is not a centralized testing center at UT. Therefore, instructors are expected to make arrangements for extended test-taking time and a reduced distraction test location. However, SSD may provide support if arrangements of certain accommodations cannot be made within the academic department.
- Examples of a reduced distraction environment include; a separate classroom (with several other students also testing and a proctor), a quiet space (e.g. conference room), TA’s office, and instructors office. Inappropriate locations include; a hallway, stairwell, a shared office or busy space (e.g. ringing phones, people traffic).
- If a testing accommodation is not in place as was previously agreed upon by you and the instructor, notify the proctor immediately.
- If the instructor refuses to provide an approved accommodation, contact SSD immediately.
| Back to top |
Scheduling Tests at SSD
Testing Hours: Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
SSD has limited space available for students who require specialized adaptive equipment or service for testing. Students without these needs should make every effort to arrange testing accommodations with the instructor. In most cases, instructors are able to provide testing accommodations, including reduced distraction environment and extended testing time.
- All tests need to be requested at least 2 weeks (10 business days) prior to the test date.
Students can log in to the SSD Student Portal to submit a request to take a test at SSD. Students need to agree upon the date and time with their instructor before scheduling a test with SSD.
Students and instructors will receive an email with two options to confirm test requests with SSD: 1) print and sign a paper Test Reservation Form (submitted in person to SSD) or 2) the instructor can confirm online through the SSD Instructor Portal.
Confirmations must be submitted to SSD 1 week (5 business days) prior to the date of the test reservation. Students who do not submit confirmed test reservations to SSD within the specified time frame will not be allowed to test at SSD.
Once the test has been confirmed, it will be the student’s responsibility to arrive on time for the scheduled test. If a test needs to be rescheduled, permission from the instructor must be obtained via an email from the instructor or a screenshot of a Canvas announcement. Emails should be directed to SSD Testing at email@example.com in order to change the date and/or time of the test.
Students who test at SSD are expected to uphold UT’s Student Honor Code:
As a student at The University of Texas at Austin, I shall abide by the core values of the University and uphold academic integrity.
Testing Deadlines by Semester
*In the Fall/Spring semester, all requests must be submitted at least 2 weeks (10 business days) prior to the test.
*In Fall/Spring semester test confirmations must be submitted 1 week (5 business days) prior to the requested test date. If SSD does not receive confirmation the test request will be canceled.
*All tests for the Fall semesters, including finals, must be reserved by November 1st.
*All tests for the Spring semesters, including finals, must be reserved by April 1st.
* In the Summer semester, all requests must be submitted at least 1 week (5 business days) prior to the test.
*In Summer semester test confirmations must be submitted 3 business days prior to the requested test date. If SSD does not receive confirmation the test request will be canceled.
| Back to top |
Testing Procedures at SSD
- Students should check the status of their scheduled tests in the Student Portal to ensure all tests are confirmed.
- Students must begin within 15 minutes of their scheduled start time.
- Students must sign-in when they arrive for testing, place all personal items in a locker, and show the proctor their photo ID.
- Once testing begins, it will not be stopped unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- Students are not allowed to exceed their allotted time.
- All test materials, including scratch paper, must be turned in with the test unless permitted otherwise by the instructor.
- Prohibited items in testing rooms: Cell phones, smart watches, or any other electronic device, jackets, hats, bags, purses, wallets, and food or drinks.
- Water is permitted in clear containers at testing desks without technology.
- Clear pencil bags are permitted.
- In the event of academic misconduct, the test will be stopped and all actions will be reported to the instructor and Student Conduct and Academic Integrity.
Thank you for helping us maintain a safe and secure testing environment!
| Back to top |