Application Timeline | Application Requirements | Application Open
Thank you for your interest in the MEC’s Student Leadership Program (SLP). We are recruiting and accepting applications from current students with a passion for community building, cultural enrichment, and leadership development, all within a fun, fast-paced environment. Although our programming centers undergraduate students, we also welcome applications from current UT graduate students.
Students selected for this program will work within one of our MEC agencies along other dedicated student leaders to produce University-sponsored programs and initiatives that have a positive impact on campus. Agency officers work within a diverse team of peers to engage with their respective communities, collect and assess community needs, and create programs, initiatives and campaigns throughout the academic year. Each year, our Agencies produce over 35 programs for the UT-Austin community. Some programs/initiatives include:
★ Annual Welcome Programs for Incoming Freshmen
★ Leadership Institutes
★ Annual Signature Programs
★ Graduation Celebrations
All of our agencies are university-funded and student-led. Founded in 1988, the MEC and its agencies are supported by MEC staff.
The MEC agencies are:
Afrikan American Affairs (AAA)
Asian Desi Pacific Islander American Collective (ADPAC)
Latinx Community Affairs (LCA)
Native American and Indigenous Collective (NAIC)
Queer & Trans Black Indigenous People of Color Agency (QTBIPOCA)
To learn more about the positions available in each agency, please visit this link here.
To apply for a position, please visit this link: MEC Officer Application
Why Join the SLP?
- Access to individual professional development funds
- 1 on 1 Coaching and advising
- Proximity access to MEC space
- Priority access to MEC space reservation
- Priority access to MEC Leadership as Activism Course
- Priority access to MEC Cultural Immersion Experiences
- Opportunities to serve on university wide student leadership committees
Application Timeline for 2023-2024:
- Friday, March 3: Applications due by midnight
- Week of March 6: Applicant Selection/Interviews begins
- Monday, March 20: Notifications Sent to Applicants by this time
- Tuesday, April 4: Transition meeting for new officers
- Wednesday April 19: End of year social for new/returning officers
- August 15-17: Mandatory Retreat for all officers
Application and Officer Requirements:
- All officers are required to attend the MEC fall and spring retreats, agency meetings and monthly cabinet meetings
- August 15-17, 2023: MEC Officer Fall Retreat
- January 20, 2024: MEC Officer Spring Grounding
- 3rd Tuesday of each month: Monthly Cabinet Meeting (5PM)
- Applicant must be a current student at time of application
- If selected, applicant must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours each semester of the program
- Applicants must have at least a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Selected officers must be able to dedicate 6-10 hours per week towards their agencies (i.e. internal meetings, community meetings, program planning and implementation, and MEC-wide workshops, meetings and outreach).
- All positions, except Co-Directors of Operations, will have a one year term limit.
(Exceptions may be requested on a case-by-case basis.)