What is RGV Familia?
RGV Familia is a transformative personal and professional development initiative providing UT students from the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) empowerment through programming, events and training, while also incorporating parent and family programming to provide holistic support for students.
Para español, cambie el idioma en el menú abajo.
Personal and Professional Development
- Programming/workshops with culturally relevant content aimed at developing leadership and workforce skills
- UT Admissions student recruiter training and opportunity for travel to RGV for recruitment/retention events
Parent and Family Programming
- Events/workshops for families of RGV students
- Spanish-language programming
- Provide a space for RGV students to share their unique experiences and learn to maximize this cultural capital through critical conversations
- Events/networking with campus and community professionals who are from the RGV
The RGV Experience
RGV Familia is an initiative for UT students who are from the Rio Grande Valley (RGV), also known as "the Valley". Our community is unique; it centers on our multicultural heritage and strong family relations. For students from the RGV, many of whom are first in their family to attend college, it is a cultural shock to come from small, mostly ethnically homogeneous border towns, to living in the large metro of Austin and attend UT.
The vibrant, fast-growing Rio Grande Valley is geographically and culturally a very different place than the urban areas of Texas. A largely agricultural area, it is comprised of 4 counties on the Texas-Mexico border including Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr, and Willacy. 90% of the population is Latino/Hispanic (ranging from 86-97% in each county). It is over 300 miles from Austin.
Meet Our Team
Find out more about our familia students and staff.