Campus Culture: Advancing efforts to create an inclusive, accessible and welcoming culture on campus
Community Engagement: Cultivating mutually beneficial community-university partnerships that further the mission of UT to serve Texas and beyond, with an emphasis on historically and currently underserved communities
Education pipeline: Creating a successful pathway for first-generation and underrepresented students as they progress from pre-K through graduate and professional school
Research: Serving as a national model for the creation of knowledge about and best practices for diversity and community engagement through innovative scholarship, teaching, policy development, programs and services
Truly a division-wide effort, this bold plan guides the division’s staff in the pursuit of their highest aspirations toward achieving academic diversity, campus diversity, and community engagement. Throughout the implementation of this five-year plan, DDCE will continue to foster a culture of excellence via its partnerships with UT’s academic colleges and schools, other university administrative divisions and units, and individuals and organizations across the state of Texas. The work of DDCE is central to the mission of The University of Texas at Austin.
Mission, Vision, and Values
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement advances socially just learning and working environments that foster a culture of excellence through diverse people, ideas, and perspectives. We engage in dynamic community-university partnerships designed to transform our lives.
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, as a national model, will strengthen the university’s academic and engagement mission by fostering a culture of excellence and social justice for the success of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community.
- Diversity: Demonstrating respect for all individuals and valuing each perspective and experience.
- Community Engagement: Learning and working collaboratively with community members and organizations to achieve positive change.
- Inclusion: Breaking down barriers to meaningful participation and fostering a sense of belonging.
- Integrity: Setting high standards of professional ethics and being consistent in principles, expectations, and actions.
- Leadership: Guiding and inspiring people and organizations toward excellence.
- Partnerships: Cultivating mutually beneficial internal and external relationships built upon trust, cooperation, and shared responsibility.
- Social Justice: Challenging injustice and working toward an equitable society in which all enjoy equal rights and opportunities.