We are proud to announce the launch of the Heman Sweatt Center for Black Males (SWEATT CENTER) formerly known as the African American Male Research Initiative (AAMRI). The center is an innovative academic community consisting of professors, administrators, graduate, and undergraduate students committed to contributing to your academic success and acclimation to the University of Texas at Austin. As a part of this program, you will have access to an interconnected array of programs and services.
Sweatt Center students are able to combine the best features of the university (world-class faculty, first-rate research facilities, competitive athletics) with the kind of small community that you would find at highly-competitive private colleges. Students within the Sweatt Center are able to take advantage of the following:
- Black Student-Athlete Summit (annual summit discussing issues of Black athletes)
- Collegiate Black Male Retreat (connect with collegiate Black males from across the country)
- Power Hours (weekly empowerment meetings with FREE FOOD)
- Free academic tutoring in popular courses (science, math, writing, psychology, etc.)
- Wall Street and Silicon Valley exposure trips
- AMP’d Mentorship Program (mentorship from Black male faculty, staff, and industry professionals)
- Study Abroad opportunities (including China, Costa Rica, and South Africa)
- College For A Day (opportunity to expose high school males to higher education)
- Academic advising, resumes, mock interview, career counseling and more!
- Black Male Education Research Collection
- Membership in a vibrant learning community of people who are invested in your future and want to work together to change the world!
For updates on Events, Announcements, Job Opportunities, & Scholarships please follow our social media accounts on Instagram & Twitter: @SweattCenter
Remember, you are not in this alone!
Ryan Sutton, Ph.D.
Director, Heman Sweatt Center for Black Males