Women in STEM (WiSTEM) summer camps and academies provide high school students with the opportunity to explore STEM career paths, gain hands-on STEM experiences, connect with STEM role models, and experience an in-depth and interactive overview of STEM majors offered at UT Austin.
Camp counselors support all WiSTEM Summer camp programming to increase interest in STEM majors among high school students. Successful candidates must have the ability to work with diverse populations in a small work team environment, without privacy and with frequent interruptions and distractions. Camp Counselors will be paid $14/ hr.
As a camp counselor, what are the benefits for me?
Did you know mentoring is vital for the success of women in STEM across all levels – undergraduate, graduate, career & industry? By serving as a camp counselor you will:
-increase your sense of belonging to STEM and to campus
-build a community of other undergraduate students
-boost your confidence and people skills
-receive training on K12 outreach
-find connections with others in your major or college
-learn about resources and services
Not convinced? Hear more from our previous camp counselors:
“Although being a camp counselor was my job, it was also so much more than that. I feel like a brand new person with all the experiences and insight I’ve received. From staff to campers, it was always such an enriching environment where I felt comfortable to be myself and to be the best counselor I can be. This was so much more than a job, it was an opportunity, thank you so much again!”
“I feel more comfortable using my voice to get people’s attention or just to speak to a larger group in general. I also gained better communication skills and confidence from serving as a panelist.”
“Being a camp counselor has definitely allowed me to improve my communication skills with those who I am in charge of and also those who work with me. I also believe that my skills of interacting with others/making bonds greatly improved as I talked to campers throughout the weeks to break them out of their shell”
“As a non-engineering student, I learned a lot about engineering and the engineering design process that strengthened my problem solving skills.”
The WiSTEM Consider Every Option (CEO) Day Camps for 2023 are:
Camp counselors must remain on-site during the day and be on-call throughout during the dates below.
Mandatory In-Person Training Dates (no virtual options)
– Monday, May 8, 2023 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
– Tuesday, May 9, 2023 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Activity Kit Prep
– Thursday, May 11, 2023 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Weekly Check-in Meetings TBA
(1 hr. a week/ June 5th- June 30th)
7:30a.m.- 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, June 6, 2023 CEO: STEM in Art and Fashion
Explore the STEM of art and fashion materials, design, display, and manufacturing.
Wednesday, June 7, 2023 CEO: STEM in Medical Technology
Examine technology design and application in health and medicine fields such as medical diagnostics, drug delivery, orthopedics, and prosthetics.
Monday, June 12, 2023 CEO: STEM in Robotics
Discover cutting-edge research and medical, transportation, rescue and recovery, and household applications for robotic technologies.
Tuesday, June 13, 2023 CEO: STEM in High Tech and Computing
Investigate STEM in high tech gadgets and computing devices that power and engage our world from cybersecurity to data science and visualization to semiconductor manufacturing.
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 CEO: STEM in Electronics
Get turned on to robotics, semiconductors, and energy sources powering the electronics used at home and throughout our world every day.
Tuesday, June 20, 2023 CEO: STEM in Energy
Power up for STEM energy exploration, production and generation from our earth, sun, wind, and water.
Wednesday, June 21, 2023 CEO: STEM in Environmental Sustainability
Dig into STEM technologies, applications, and research to improve the quality of our land, water, and air.
Tuesday, June 27, 2023 CEO: STEM in Landmarks and Structures
Explore the STEM of materials, design, technology, and placement of landmarks, art, and structures across campus.
Wednesday, June 28, 2023 CEO: STEM in Air and Space Travel
STEM connections throughout air and space from robots and rovers to drones and planes to satellites and space suits.
The layout of this webpage under construction!
- undergraduate student
- currently enrolled (Fall/Spring) at UT Austin
- good academic & disciplinary standing
- ability to pass a Criminal Background Check
Preferred Experience & Qualifications:
- Proactive & positive self-starter who can work collaboratively and independently
- Experience working with youth
- Leadership experience
- Responsible, mature and well-organized
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- Comfortable with multitasking
- Excellent communicators with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Interest in STEM youth outreach & able to inspire young students to pursue science, technology, engineering, or math
- Establish yourself as a mentor
- Oversee camp participants
- Lead/ co-lead participants in STEM activities
- Monitor the behavior of participants to ensure they adhere to the program’s code of conduct/rules
- Ensure the physical and emotional safety of all campers
- Act as an authority figure
- Cultivate a Brave space
- Reframe conflict
- Create a welcoming environment
- Assist with WiSTEM Summer Camp prepping
- Manage Inventory & Supply Needs
- Support the Camp Director with check-in and check-out processes
- Prepare each week’s camp supplies and materials
Contact Robin Lindsey at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
All applications are due Friday, March 24 at NOON!